Thursday, April 12, 2018

What's in Your Mail Box?




It has been said that blank pages are intimidating.  Your just don't know where to start.  An artist once told me I "over process".  Just put some paint on the page and get to it.  Time to Liberate Your Art.

I signed up for Kat Soma's postcard swap.  This is the simple description of how it works.  You send 5 postcards of your art and you get 6 postcards back  -  mailed to you one at a time over couple weeks of time.   This swap is for any kind of art -  photography, painting, collage, digital art  -  as long as you can have it made into a postcard.

The rules are clear and simple.  You can find all the information on Kat's website here.

I was liberating myself with a style that was new for me.  Bolder colors and textures.  For me, it was a big step.  This is the piece I chose for my postcard.


I sent my cards to Kat and then watched my mailbox for the cards to start coming.


Finally card #1 arrives.  Titled "Dancing Clothes" from Louise.  This card travelled from France all the way over to the northwest coast of the USA and then back across the country to southwest Florida.


A few days pass and the next card arrives .  The card is not signed but the name hemsworthj appears.  She is a decorative artist with a lot of talent.





Soon thereafter the next 3 cards arrive.  There's the whimsical card of houses from Lynn Hudson in NC.




Followed by the dreamy scene from Tammy Wilson who wrote on her card , "Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time". (T, Merton quote)




The fifth card is a sketch of Sydney Harbor done by Andrea when she vacationed there.  Lovely Piece! 


The swap draws to an end when everyone who participated gets a card from our swap hostess, Kat.







Kat used a Henry Matisse quote on her card,  "Creativity takes Courage".  To see that a talented artist like Kat used the same quote I used on my card was an encouraging sign to me to continue to just keep Liberating my Art.

I'm already thinking ahead to next year's swap and hope you will join it too.  If anybody interested in doing some side swaps just let me know!

Stephanie
                                                                

11 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie :-) I love the postcard you had made..Your art is beautiful! I adore the collection you received in your mailbox also! I would be very interested in a side swap..If you have messenger, or communicate on the Liberate Your Art 2018 Facebook Event Page, that is the easiest way for me to see you if you send me a message..Otherwise we can PM each other from our blogs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,

    First, I just love your postcard. I'm just beginning to explore mixed media and right now I've only made a few cards. Most often I do photography. I love how you displayed your postcard treasures. They're all beauties. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. Take care and I'll look forward to seeing you here next time.

    Suzette
    Notes From the Road

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to "work up my courage" to try/share "other forms" of art. I applaud your stepping outside of your comfort zone and sharing. Your work is beautiful. You received beauties as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post card is super - great colour and style. I am so glad you are expanding your horizons. I don't know what you normally do but this is great! I would be pleased to swap with you and add this painting to my collection of cards. My address is val van der Poel Box 355 Porthill Idaho, 83853. If you are on FB you can message me there with your address.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s wonderful to be brave. See you next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colours in the painting :) Hope to see you in the swap again next year

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Stephanie! I received one of your beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for participating in the LYA postcard exchange this year! Bold colors and mixed media. Such a marked contrast to the winter storm we're getting in WI this wkd. This post brightened up the wkd! See you next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome card, and high five for taking risks :) Your cards received are great! I had not seen some of them on Facebook, so I am glad to see them here. Treasures :) Hope to see you next year - happy continued creating to you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your card! Great colors and texture! So much fun to see how you displayed the cards you received! Great having you in the swap -- hope I get one of yours next year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your postcard is gorgeous! I love the bright colors! You also received some lovely pieces of art! Hope to see you next year!

    ReplyDelete